Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Right "answer" --- sort of

The Final Jeopardy answer 11/7 was, "It's the world's southernmost landlocked country."

Since I've been busily studying African countries and where they lie, I guessed, "What is Lesotho?" and was correct!

However, when Alex pronounced it, it came out "Luh-SOO-too."  Since Mr. Trebek is almost never wrong, I googled here just to make sure that a "soft th" is incorrect (it is.)

My discovery has spawned this:
If you must pronounce tiny Lesotho
I hope my gaffe won't befall you, too.
You can say, "Phil's no bard,
That land's 't' ain't said hard."
I apologize to you and Tutu.

I will leave #2710 stet and, as a penance, I haven't assigned a number to this re-write.  However, I do take some consolation in the fact(?) that Americans say the o's long.  BTW, Desmond Tutu was Archbishop of Lesotho from 1976-78.

No comments:

Post a Comment